The topic of interviewing, just like job search, can seem like a bottomless pit of information. But the really crucial information revolves around 3 concepts:
- KNOW YOURSELF
- What is it you really want in a job or self-employment? What will make you eager to get up in the morning to get to work?
- Do you know your motivated skills, interests, life and career values, behavioral style (personality), and personal brand attributes?
- What about your wants and needs? Are you able to prioritize them?
- Can you define the kind of career or entrepreneurship area that would be a good fit?
- KNOW YOUR TARGET AUDIENCE
- What organizations would offer the best match with YOU?
- How does company culture, job function, compensation, work setting, company mission and vision, and any other factors important to you factor into your search?
- Can you define your ideal employer or self-employed situation?
- What can you find out about them that would be relevant to your job search and your interview(s)?
- KNOW HOW TO SELF-MARKET
- Can you articulate your value proposition verbally and in writing?
- Do you know your personal branding "uniqueness" and how to capitalize on it?
- Are you able to use your time effectively and efficiently to land interviews quickly?
- What modes of communication are "in sync" with your brand?
- Do you have a self-marketing communications plan?
- What must you learn or what skills need polishing for your interview success?
Here's a short YouTube video describing the Google interview process. Would Google be a good match for you? If so, could you "sell" yourself in the interview?
From HRWorld online check out this article about illegal interview questions for pointers from HR folks on what can and cannot be asked by an interviewer. Read the comments section too for some fascinating retorts.
Finally, the absolute "must-have" for your career / job search toolbox is CareerHub's no-cost Insider's Guide to Interviewing with articles from career experts that address factors for interview success. You will note the linked page also contains 3 other valuable (and no-charge) e-books: Insider's Guide to Networking, Insider's Guide to Resume Writing, and Insider's Guide to Job Search. All of these resources will aid you in answering the key questions listed above for ultimate interview AND career success.