There is no lack of information online about possible career fields and jobs. If you are like most folks, though, it can be quite overwhelming!
The following short list may help you to get started on a new career path. But, of course, it’s up to you to explore and then take action!
1. O*NET Online Description of Occupations – this includes a vast array of occupations to search. Some of my favs are Green Economy, STEM discipline, and Bright Outlook occupations for the future (definitely worth checking out).
2. VocationVacations – allows you to experience ‘living’ your dream job. Ever thought about being a TV producer, B&B owner, or winery owner? This site has more than 170 career fields to explore via hands-on immersion.
3. Book: Dig This Gig! By Laura Dodd – Contains interviews from people engaged in their dream jobs. Laura has conveniently grouped the interviews by category: healthcare gigs, entertainment gigs, do-good gigs, green gigs, government gigs, outdoor office gigs, new gigs (blogging and other media), and more. A quick and fun read!
4. Career videos by Dr. Kit Nast – Videotaped interviews with folks in real-life jobs. This is still a fairly new site, but promises to add more content weekly. Dr. Nast is a Psychology professor at a community college.
5. Occupational Outlook Handbook – Comprehensive career information provided by the Department of Labor that includes job descriptions, working conditions, salary range, job outlook for the future, training required, and more.
6. Career Guide to Industries – With a list of 360 industries, this is a companion guide to the Occupational Outlook Handbook. You can search by specific industry or browse industries overall. Containing links to job market information for each State, this is a valuable career research tool.
7. The Idealist Guide to NonProfit Careers – For career search in the non-profit sector, this site offers 4 free PDF e-books: NonProfit Careers for Sector Switchers, NonProfit Careers for First-Time Job Seekers, Service Corps to Social Impact Careers, and Making a Difference: A Guide to Personal Profit in a NonProfit World.
For more career exploration resources, including where to research employment trends, trade and professional associations, employers, job postings, salary information, and Key Influencers and Recruiters, see my featured article Research Your Best-Fit Job in the Dream BIG! Column of the Reach Personal Branding YOUnique newsletter.